Further pressure is being placed on Labour Leader Mohammed Pervez, his Cabinet colleagues and senior officers at Stoke-on-Trent City Council over savings schemes that are falling apart costing more than before the savings were proposed.
Exclusively revealed last week by PotteriesEYE extra bin crews are having to be dispatched to cover the none collection of hundreds of bin across the city, due to the council making changes to contracts regarding overtime, costing bin lorry driver hundreds of pound in salary.
Duncan Walker of the Labour Party has undermined claims by Geoff Dunne, Strategic Manager of the service, who had claimed that all bins were being collected the next day where crews had missed the proper collection day.
Speaking to the Sentinel on Saturday he said:
“The council sent an extra crew to empty our blue bins on Friday, August 10.
“They had not been emptied since July 25 and should have been emptied on August 8, so our collection was missed completely. These extra runs must be costing money.”
Tensions are building up in the Labour Group, where some have close ties with trade unions across the authority.
A senior Labour member, who did not wish to be named for fear of reprisals, said:
We had been told all the issues over these contracts and the unions had been resolved.
It has been very hard this last couple of years as Labour members having to make such drastic cuts and redundancies. We had no choice and put faith in our leaders and officers. What trust can we have now when we are told one thing and the opposite happens.
There appears to be another big set of cuts coming. I can see us reaching breaking point in the Labour Party the way things are going.
Insiders have already revealed their fears to PotteriesEYE last week that up to 10% of staff are to go in the next phase of cuts for 2013.